Sunday, November 11, 2007

Matilda


I can't believe that I'd never read this book as a child! Roald Dahl was one of my favorite authors, though I think he and I had a falling out after I read Danny, Champion of the World when I was in ax. 4th grade - I'm not sure why since I liked reading about Danny and his father living in their caravan. Since the 2nd grade when my teacher Mrs. Stabenow read The Boxcar Children to us, I wanted desperately to live in a boxcar & living in a caravan was very nearly the same thing! I remember not liking that nearly so well as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. At any rate, my Dahl reading tapered off after Danny. sigh... I missed out on a treasure - Matilda is a wonderful book! I would have loved it as a child. I would have loved the child vs. adult aspect of it - I liked other books like that.

I would recommend this book highly to anyone needing a bit of a break from stern grown-up fare, but also interested in a book not dumbed down for children. The book is well-written enough to appeal to grown-ups & helps give us back a piece of that wonder of childhood. Oh - I'd recommend the book for kids too! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello... I am mariajose I am ESL [English as a Second Language], I am beggining to read and I am reading Now Matilda Too!! its a funny and Nice book... I am in 100 page and I don't want to stop!!!!

I am looking your blog, I want to read all too!!

Nice to meet you.

Faustess said...

I'm glad you're enjoying my blog! :) I will make an effort to post more often here - I've read a lot that's not on here yet. If you need another book, you might like Sarah, Plain and Tall too - it's not funny, but it's a good story (and not too long).

Ellee