Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee


I know this is a mini-series documentary now, but this book by Dee Brown is very powerful in its own right. It took me a long time to finish less because it's a long book, but more because I could only read so much about irrational, unfounded savagery on the part of our nation's white imperialists from the past at any given time. I'd say that this would definitely round out any curriculum on the settling of the West (obviously at a high school or higher level - just because I don't think a class of elementary school kids could make it through the book).

Hugely worthwhile for all Americans able to read the book. The prose is not light (by any stretch of the imagination), but is very readable & isn't difficult to read in a technical sense. Highly, highly recommended.

No comments: