Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Cat Who Could Read Backwards

Well, it's a little hard for me to admit that I've actually read one of these, but I *did* read it to increase the number of bestsellers I've read so I can do the Readers' Advisory part of my job better. This is the first book in The Cat Who series by Lilian Jackson Braun and it's all right as far as cozy mysteries go. Kinda bland for my taste, but it IS the first one and usually a few books into a series they improve quite a bit before sliding downhill after too many have been published. I like the hard-boiled mysteries and the more intellectual ones, and this is neither - a great book for the bus, bathroom, or before bed (no nightmares!)

Overall, if you like cozy mysteries (mysteries without overt sex, profanity, violence) and have somehow missed Braun, queen of this domain, then these are for you. If you like more of the rough & tumble, I'd skip them and go for something tougher (personally really liked Matthew Pearl's Dante Club).

No comments: