Monday, January 29, 2007

Feed

This book by MT Anderson is set in a future not too far from ours - and not too different from our own. Intended for young adult audiences, I think it draws from and bears comparing to Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I thought Feed was a good book, but I didn't really like any of the characters. I think their flaws annoyed me (which they're supposed to) - just a little too over-the-top for my taste as a (sadly) early-30's adult.

Some readers will be turned off by the thrill-seeking behavior of most of the book's characters. Reading through the whole thing, I suspect many people will realize the pathetic nature of this behavior and the horror of the boredom bordering on insanity that generates that kind of search for the next thrill.

Very highly recommended for middle school and high school readers - especially who need to write a book report and want to sound smart for their teachers. Highly recommended for readers who enjoyed Fahrenheit 451 and/or like dystopian scenarios.

No comments: