Saturday, January 05, 2013

Three Essays on the Theory of Sexuality (Freud)

Three Essays on the Theory of SexualityThree Essays on the Theory of Sexuality by Sigmund Freud
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Again, I find some ideas that were probably ahead of his time (just a handful), others that just demonstrate the scientific state of the study of human & child development - both physically and psychologically - of Freud's time that make me wonder how his theories would change if he were writing today, and then there's others that I suspect stem from the culture of the time/place he's writing in that make me roll my eyes. Reading with the cultural bias of my physical and cultural background, methinks he & the whole Western culture of the time (late 19th to early 20th century) were waaaay too obsessed with masturbation & its supposed ill-effects on one's psychological well-being.

Recommended for those interested in psychology or gender studies, otherwise, I'd probably go with a more general book about Freud and his ideas.

View all my reviews

No comments: